Windmill, Spratton Road, Brixworth

 

The Howcutt windmill at Brixworth

(Eyre & Jeffery's map of Northamptonshire, 1791 edition)

 

In 1731, Thomas Ward of Brixworth left a windmill to his daughter "Mary Houcoute". Her husband, James, was described as a miller when he was buried in 1742/3. In due course, the mill was owned by Mary's son William (1726-1782) and then by William's son James. The inventory taken after James' death in 1828 gave a value of £95 for "The Windmill Very much out of Repair Valued According to Be Remooved". Despite this description, the windmill was still standing in 1863, when it was offered for sale at auction. However, it seems to have been demolished fairly soon afterwards, as it is not shown on the 1885 Ordnance Survey map. 

The Howcutt windmill stood to the south of Spratton Road, a short distance south west of the Workhouse. Its location is shown precisely on a map of the parish made in 1846. The site is now occupied by houses on the west side of Brampton Way. A road called Windmill Glade, which is situated further south, off Froxhill Crescent, presumably commemorates the Howcutt mill, though it does not occupy the precise site.